In the course we have two kind of assignments:
- homework readings, screenings and exhibition visit following classroom discussions
- a study done in small groups. The results of the groups’ study work are reported in a form of video essay.
(1) The instruction to do the homework reading and screenings are given in the class
For the exhibition visit there are a little assignment. Please, scroll down to see the instruction.
(2) A study in small group: video essay and voice over text
In a small group you will study media culture related concepts and prepare a video essay about it. The requirements for the video essays are:
- 2-5 minutes long video explaining the results of your study work.
- The video must have 2-3 minutes spoken voice over.
- In addition to the video you should deliver a the text of your voice over.
- References used in your study must be in listed in the last frames of the video and in the text of your voice over.
- The videos should be uploaded to a video service of your choice.
- Send a link to the video and the voice over text to Eva – eva.durall(at)aalto.fi – and Jana – jana.pejoska(at)aalto.fi
We have a list of instructions for you to do your study work and to prepare the video essay:
- Make the study work challenging for yourself. Read the relevant articles related to the topic and then set yourself a research questions. Think what you do not know about the theme and study it. Start from your own level
- Make it personal. Think how do you feel about the topics under study. Think are there any connection to your own work or life?
- Be critical. Present criticism made by others and think why is this so important or is it at all?
- Make connections to other fields, people, traditions and explain the context where the topics studied come from? Why is this topic discussed and by whom?
- Video essays: Write a scrip and make the video. Sometimes a single image, infographic or diagram is better than a lot of moving things. Make sure your voice over makes sense. Add references.
(3) Museum visit
- Choose one artist and artwork (preferably media art work) and think how would you explain it to a blind person.
- Make a sketch about the art work (A4).
- Write short, sharp but personal text in free format and try to answer at least following questions.
- What? – Introduction of the idea.
- By whom? – Artist? Find information.
- Media, format? – Why certain media or format is chosen?
- Why? – Motives, why the art work is done?
- To whom? – Who are interested in this? Target group or audience?
- Context? – What area? What´ s new? Related projects? Historical references?
- Team? – What kind of professionals are needed to realize the art work?
- Your experience? – Positive? Negative? Interesting? Disturbing?